19 November 2012

It's Always A Good Day To Fight The Good Fight

Last weekend, hubby and I did the "Fight For Air Walk".

We walked 5 kilometers to show our support and raise money for everyone who fights to breathe, such as those with lung cancer; asthma or emphysema. This is a cause close to our hearts.  My daughter lost her beloved godfather to emphysema.  I lost my best friend to lung cancer when I was only eighteen, and my cousin who had asthma and fought for breath his whole life finally succumbed, too early in his adult life, to lung disease.




We got there bright and early to register on a beautiful Southern California autumn day. 
Some people walk the distance and others run.  We know a lot about lung disease, but there is so much we don't know.  

 It was a glorious  day in San Diego at the Embarcadero Marina Park. 
 So beautiful in fact, it almost felt like we were cheating! 

I didn't want to lug my Canon, so hubby took these photos for me from his iPhone.  Not to shabby if I do say so!  You can tell however, that just as he is a man of few words, he is a picture taker of few pictures.   


 The walk was along the sea wall and through the park including Sea Port Village.  We had a gorgeous view of the Coronado Bridge where we also love to sail!

Puppies were encouraged, along with strollers, wheelchairs and anyone else who wanted to walk.  There were huge teams like Sempra Energy, and Beta Engineering.  Lots of University's brought their service orgs and I high fived a few of my Alumni from University of San Diego.  Go Torero's!  

Hubby and I wore our Loyola Marymount Sweatshirts, which was just a happy coincidence, and all the cheerleaders and encouragers along the route would yell, "Go LMU" whenever we passed.  So, we decided we were team LMU for our son Cooper's University which he will graduate from this May.  Go LMU!  Go Cooper!

We brought our pups along, including Kieran the Alpha Dog.   Think, pint sized Kujo! Before we got there I had a stern talk with him (the tiny 7 lb. lucky pup who's lucky he hasn't been some pit bulls hors d' oeuvres yet), about what we were doing and why we were doing it.  I told him there would be many people and OTHER DOGS whom he would feel he'd have to guard me from with his very life.  I explained that it would not be necessary this time because, everyone should have the chance to walk for the Fight For Air Walk and he should just be a good boy, keep his nose to the grindstone and WALK without being a big alpha jacka... like the good puppy I know him to be.  And guess what? He DID!!!  Not one incident.  Not one bark or snarl or growl.  It was like he knew how important this was.  WHAT a good boy!  That's why I love dogs.  Dogs just know these things.






 We did it!  You can do it too.  If you'd like to donate, go to "Walk For Air".  Eighty-one cents of every dollar raised by the American Lung Association goes directly to education, research and advocacy.  

You can walk just because you think our children deserve to breathe clean and healthy air!  Thanks xo

Blessings,

Tia


Update
Our event was a tremendous success for all involved. More than 800 walkers participated and thanks to you we have raised over $164,000.00! 



































No comments: