23 November 2013

Sittin' In A High Chair, Big Chair, My Chair


Recently,  you may remember that my eldest daughter had her seventh baby.  Rebecca Kathleen is a wee beauty who never makes a peep until she wants to eat (or can I say the word suckle here?)  And then she's a force to be reckoned with.  She is from a big family of kids, I like to call  a gaggle.  Is that a goose word?  Well, I'm always mistaking ducks for geese so…

Whilst we used to be  over- ridden with testosterone, with our four precious boys, the last three have been girls. We're catching up!  It only takes five to have a basketball team and eleven for a football team so we're there, and almost there.  My granddaughters are mighty and have lots of girly power though so they keep up with those boys just fine.   Their daddy is Athletic Director at their local high school but his favorite team is his very own, right at home!

I gave my daughter a baby shower for her seventh child because in this day and age, unfortunately, people don't get too excited about a woman about to bare her seventh child.  But I thought we should celebrate. Every child is a blessing and Rebecca needed an introduction into a family who chooses to welcome her with love!  We are a pro life family.  If you've read more than three of my posts you have already figured that out.  One of my favorite verses in The Bible is the following from Deuteronomy 30:19

This day I call heaven and earth as witness against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses.  Now choose life, so that you and your children may live and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him.  For the lord is your life, and he will give you many years in the land he swore to give to your fathers, Abraham, Issac and Jacob.

 Now, you're probably wondering how this post is going to turn into a DIY? But it's about to.  My daughter, really needed and wanted a new high chair.  So being my first born, her wish is my command.  Well, not always, but usually :)

 I bought a completely unfinished high chair with nice old fashioned lines.  I decided to use CeCe Caldwell's chalk paint because there is NO SANDING required.  No sanding is a favorite of mine!  I started out using Virginia Chestnut so that the chair would look like it was once very old and dark like they used to be when they were made from oak.


My sweet hubby got his saw-horse out for me so I wouldn't have to stand on my head to paint.  I'm waaay to old for that unless I'm doing yoga and I didn't want to get my mat all dirty on the garage floor.
Please don't try to picture that.

After getting the entire high chair all darkened up, I covered it with Vintage White.  Remember this is going to be a shabby, chippy, chair that looks like it's been around f o r e v e r.

How old does that look?  Pretty shabby so far, right?  With CeCe Caldwell's paint you
can sand (Gakkkk) or just rub off the extra paint for that shabby look.  Guess which route I took?







After I lathered up the whole chair with 1.Virginia Chestnut  2.Vintage White  3.Santa Fe Turquoise with a bit of Destin Green mixed in; I brushed good old Elmer's Glue on with a foam brush just until it felt tacky.  I only worked in small spaces at a time , such as the tray, then the seat, etc.  Over the top of the glue (you can use Mod Podge if you prefer but glue is cheaper and I already had some,) I again brushed on some Cottage White.  This made the chair crack and chip and exposed the colors underneath.   Miracle of miracles, I got just the look I wanted!  When all was said and done, I covered the entire chair with Endurance Finish.  It is also by CeCe Caldwell, an Eco Friendly,  Low VOC finish, just like the rest of her paint, you can feel good about putting it on a chair a baby will eat on.
  


Now, when she gains fifteen pounds of so, this wee lass will be a part of the gang.  She'll sit up at the supper table and throw food with the rest of her team mates.  

Every child deserves to be a welcome addition to life.  It just makes the world a better place.  Ya know?








 

No comments: